This is all I will say on the election for quite some time:
As I listen to noted “progressives” and “leftists” currently bemoaning the election of Donald Trump, it becomes clear that they think we had a marvelously progressive, 180º opposite, Democratic candidate in November and we blew it by picking Hitler.
Don’t they recall what the choice really was?
In setting the record straight, a phrase beloved of Mrs. Clinton’s acolytes as they distorted her record of war and under-achievement, I can only repeat some facts:
1) Polling consistently showed that nearly 60% of Trump voters DO NOT support him. They voted for him only as a way of stopping Hillary Clinton. All the hand-wringing over the “racists” and “nazis” and “angry white people” who allegedly voted for Trump crumbles when this is taken into consideration. But it never is mentioned. It is far easier to demonize and rationalize than to analyze.
2) Scared because Trump denies environmental science? The Democrat “alternative” was also a science denier – one must be a denier in order to support fracking. So we had ZERO choice there.
3) Trump will start WW3? The Democrat “alternative” was also a war-mongering, China threatening, candidate as we witness in her own words: “Russia’s hacked into a lot of things. China’s hacked into a lot of things. Russia even hacked into the Democratic National Committee, maybe even some state election systems. So, we’ve got to step up our game. Make sure we are well defended and able to take the fight to those who go after us. As President, I will make it clear, that the United States will treat cyber attacks just like any other attack. We will be ready with serious political, economic and military responses.”
And then we have her stated desire to “ring China with missile defense” to protect against North Korea and set up a no-fly zone in Syria (where she personally sabotaged a cease-fire), and to rig elections in other nations. She publicly supported the concept and execution of covert wars of regime change. Zero choice there.
4) Aghast that Trump nominated people from Goldman Sachs and other Wall Street banks to his proposed cabinet? Have we already forgotten the $22,000,000 Wall Street Banks paid to Clinton in just under 24 months? You think they did that with no expectation of results? Again, ZERO choice.
5) Opposing dangerous pipelines an issue? Have we also forgotten the millions of dollars Mrs. Clinton snatched up for speeches made in Canada where she spoke in direct support of the Keystone XL pipeline? Zero choice again.
6) Libya, Syria, Honduras… and the “progressives” think we mistakenly elected a war-monger? We had no choice BUT to elect one.
7) Worried about the privatization (destruction) of Social Security under Trump? Again, ZERO choice in that regard. Clinton repeatedly spoke of means-testing social security as a way to make it over as welfare for the “neediest recipients,” as she phrased it. And she has a track record, through the Democratic Leadership Council and her support of her “co-president’s” welfare reform, of gutting the safety net. How long before she’d have talked in glowing terms of “ending Social Security as we know it”?
8) Afraid we will lose our precious constitutional rights under Trump? If so… where have you been? Hillary Clinton made her campaign a vote on continuing the Obama legacy. Look at the rights that man took away as he gleefully continued and expanded the “W” legacy. Think SNOWDEN. On this point, I agree with friend John Hubbard who noted that fighting for our rights mean nothing if WW3 busts out, and, as noted above, Clinton showed all the signs of itching to start the Big One. Trump may be a threat to many treasured government protections and programs. Hillary was, as the pentagon calls them, an EXISTENTIAL threat to our very survival. Her insane plans for a no-fly zone in Syria (where the crumbling, feeble ISIS doesn’t have a single aircraft) was meant to provoke the Russians – who in her demented view are the bullies standing between herself and the love her mother denied her. Eliminating this crazy person was priority #1. We took care of that. Now on to fighting Trump if you disagree with him. At least we are alive to do it.
9) Don’t know where Trump stands on issues from day to day? He seems “unpredictable”? Ok. How do you know where Clinton stands? I refer you to WikiLeaks and Clinton’s stunning admission that she holds one position in public and another in private. There is no way of knowing what, aside from her own ambition, Clinton believes in. Again, ZERO choice.
10) Here is the bottom line as I see it: Because of corporate media collusion with the two dominant parties, we had a pair of crappy candidates to decide between. Either way we were going to get a crappy president. With Trump, we got a crappy president AND we got rid of the money grubbing, influence peddling Clinton “dynasty” – including the atrocious Rodham Brothers (conveniently hidden this time around). That is called taking lemons and making lemonade.
Acting as though America elected a despot – when there were two despots running for Imperial President – misses the point and evinces a peculiar form of denial.
Given the choice we had, not the choice we wish we had – to paraphrase old Rumsfeld – I believe the nation made the only proper decision. We shattered Bill Clinton, Inc. and showed the democrats that they cannot run hacks from the past and expect their traditional voters to support them.
Now that voters have eliminated the neo-liberal DLC candidate, we will turn our concentration to the task neutralizing the objectionable parts of Trump’s neo-Reagan agenda.
But that takes work, and it requires letting go of the constant parade of fake predictions that fill news outlets (even as they whine about “fake news”) as if we have not endured 16 straight years of the very things people now claim only Trump will suddenly bring.
Not whining about the election.
Not the Oppression Olympics, which says that only certain people have a right to say they will suffer under Trump.
If you oppose Trump, you have just UNDER TWO YEARS to flip the congress.
That is the same amount of time Hillary Clinton devoted to getting her $22,000,000 from Wall Street.